Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Sun Also Rises


It's been eight years. Eight years of "heckuva job, Brownie" and Mission Accomplished. Eight years of extraordinary rendition and black sites and torture. Eight years without Habeus Corpus. Eight years of corporate malfeasance and failures to regulate. Eight years of there's no proof that human activity is responsible for global warming. Eight years of Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin and Sean Hannity. Eight years of fostered, manufactured and nurtured fear. Eight years of tolerated, encouraged racism. Eight years of Muslim = Terrorist.

Eight years of torture.

And it's over.

Today we're swearing in a man who all evidence indicates is smarter than the rest of us, emotionally adult, invested of a strong moral compass, and who is prepared to lead.

I'm no dummy. I expect Barack Obama will disappoint me on occasion. I expect him to fail on occasion. But even with that knowledge, I am confident he will lead. I am confident that things will get better.

Happy Inauguration Day.