Tuesday, January 6, 2009

From Poetry to Pop Culture

What can I say, my interests are varied. I'm almost as partial to celebrity gossip as I am to poetry. If I stumble across a link about Jennifer Aniston, I am compelled to click on it. But in my trolling across pop culture sites, it seems like offputting fawning has been replaced by offputting vitriol. And, really, aren't they just two sides of the same coin?

A few days ago I clicked on one of those Jennifer Aniston links that I can't seem to pass over and in the course of the post they referred to "her withered up ovaries." That level of invective brought to mind the people weeping and rending garments in front of Princess Diana's palace after she died. In both circumstances, I want to change barstools while muttering, "sheesh, dude, get your own life" under my breath.

Thank heavens for the fug girls.