Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday Night Lights

So, I was all geared up for some good SciFi tonight. I made myself do all my chores after Laney went to bed. I did some work, I got the kitchen cleaned, I dusted, vacuumed and mopped. And then, when all was said and done, I decided not to watch BSG tonight.

See, while in general I'm a pretty good wife, I have one major failing: I have, on many MANY occasions, spoiled things for Don. The most egregious example was when we were watching "The Sixth Sense" at the Brew and View and I leaned over to Don about a third into the movie and said "So, when did you realize that Bruce Willis was dead?"

As it turned out, Don had not yet SEEN "The Sixth Sense." Oops.

So, I decided that it would be better to save BSG for tomorrow for when we could watch it together. Otherwise, I'd totally be chewing on my cheek trying to stop myself from saying "Can you BELIEVE that Tigh is actually a different representation of the Cylon Number Six model?"

Instead, I sat down with my wine and tuned into Friday Night Lights, which has in common with BSG that no one watches it and everyone should.

The episode began with the Julie Taylor following her parents to the car haranguing them with all the reasons why they should let her change her class schedule and get a car of her own. When they settle in the car, Coach Taylor says "First of all, I'd appreciate it if y'all would not leave your garbage in my car. And, second of all, Principal Taylor, you look hot." Principal Taylor is his wife, the AMAZING Connie Britton.

And, I thought, after all those missteps from their second season, this show is back.

It makes you question all those culture wars and lets all us lefty urbanites know that we actually do have a lot in common with Texas Christians.

And, y'all, my cousin and great, great friend, Shawn, is always talking to me about the sky in Texas. Whoever shoots that show, totally agrees with her. You never saw a football game look so pretty.

It's awesome. If confusing, a little. It troubles me that my TV crush goes from the coach to the high school running back. In my defense, the actors playing running backs (both Smash and Riggins) are well into their twenties, so it's not that gross.