Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Advent Wreath


To indicate how differently time passes as an adult, I present the Advent Wreath. For the four Sundays before Christmas, a different candle is lit.  Nowadays, the four weeks before Christmas pass by in a flash.  But when I was a kid, it took for-fucking-ever to get those damn candles lit. The wreath taunted you, tantalized you. Christmas was getting closer... but it took SO long.

This election feels like that.  It feels like we've been waiting so long, and it's so tantalizingly close.  Only, the Advent Wreath promised Christmas.  You knew it would be Christmas after those four candles were lit.  For this election, we either get Christmas.  Or we get, what?  The biggest disappointment of my life.  As though I'm 8 and expecting an E-Z Bake Oven and instead get a kick in the face, a fart in a box, a pen.  I don't know...

But I may be cracking up here.