Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Government Marriage

What do you think: can't the government just get out of the marriage business all together? It's just a loaded word.  Get married in a church.  Get unioned by the government.  I think this is more a matter of language than anything else.

I mean, don't get me wrong - there are some homophobic motherfuckers out there.  But, you have to own your homophobia to be against a civil union.  There is no polite society for "I don't think this lesbian should be able to visit her dying partner in the hospital*."

Forget trying to change the people - just change the language.  Get your government papers down at the city hall, gay or straight, and if your god wigs out over the gays, then get married in your miserable gayless church.

That's all I'm saying.

* This is sort of the go to anecdote for gay marriage advocates.  However, as I've said many times before, I think the eensy conveniences of every day life matter more.  Like when I rent a car, Don can drive it without having to present his driver's license to the Avis guy.  I think this is awesome.