Saturday, November 8, 2008

What's Your Thing?

So, I've been thinking about this a lot.  See, there's life and then there's life.  Here's what I mean: there's the kids and the job and the house.  That's the little "l" life.  And then there's the big "L" life, which is the kids and the job and the house and the air that you breathe and the leaves on the trees and how good pizza tastes and the overwhelming, aching, terrifying awareness that all of it is temporary.    

When it comes to little "l" life, you need something to take you out of it from time to time.  Big "L" life is overarching.  But for little "l" life, I rely on things like Carl Hiassen novels or playing the guitar or the much lamented Gilmore Girls.  And this blog. I can think of so many things that I escape into. And most of the people I love, I can think of their things: Football.  Reality TV. Young adult novels.  Facebook.  Exercise.  Cooking.  

I think it must be a hard life when there's not time for that escape, or even time to figure out what it is.  

So, what's your thing?  If you don't have one - better find it!