Monday, March 2, 2009

Those Hazy, Crazy Streeters Days

So, picture this: Laney and I are in the kitchen.  I'm exhausting my culinary skills by boiling noodles and heating frozen broccoli.  Laney is playing with some dolls.  I had my iTunes player shuffling through my music which alternates between kinda cool and unbelievably hokey.  And then  the Commodore's Easy came on.

I love that song.  Back in the old days when I was bartending at Streeter's, my friend Richard used to play it in the wee early hours of the morning, when the night all around us was winding down.  We would sing that song so loud.  

There's something about being in a bar at 4:00 in the morning, when you're sober (or, if I'm being honest, only lightly buzzed) and you get that feeling of being part of a very small, exclusive group: people who finish their workday at 4:00 am with a pile of cash in their pocket and no responsibilities beyond paying the rent.  Sometimes there was dancing.

I told Laney a little about it and showed her a picture of Richard, which keep on the fridge. Those were good times we had at that bar, which is a concept best left unexplored with your five year old.  But, boy we did.  

Aw, go ahead and listen to the song.  Sing along.  It's awesome.  I recommend ignoring the video since it's all about the 70s and I'm talking about the 90s, which were VERY different times (unlike the 70s and now which are VERY similar times... but that's a post for another day)