Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Another Screed

Look, I don't believe in god or much of anything supernatural. But the devil walks among us and he is running the credit card companies. Today, I came home to the second notice in as many days that a credit card company "in order to maintain profitability" is upping our interest rate to 24%, about twice what it had been.

Now, we have us some debt. But we pay our bills. Every month. Nary a late payment. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but we just shoveled BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars into the banks so they would start loaning again.

A long, long time ago, the Bons borrowed from the American Banking Shylocks in order to fund an adoption. It is impossible to regret that since we ended up with the littlest Bon. But, all things being equal, I wish we'd borrowed it from Fat Tony. I suspect he handles his business with a stronger moral code and more finely tuned business acumen.

Bastards. We are raiding the 401K to get out from under the thumb of credit card companies. The situation is such that it makes good financial sense to borrow against our own future than it does to leave our debt in the hands of the evil motherfuckers who are running the banks nowadays.

If I could have one wish come true, the entire upper echelon of banking management would Go Galt and get eaten by wolves. Or poor people. Or me.