Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Old Man's' War


So, in January (as mentioned before), I was bouncing between a couple of book series. The first was the charmingly tony 44 Scotland Street Books, and then, for something completely different, some good old shoot 'em up scifi: Old Man's War.

I've made no secret of the fact that I am a big scifi fan. Among the many things I love about it is how familiar the outlines are; there are people who fight wars and fall in love and suffer through ethical dilemmas, etc. But right when you get comfortable, the details rock your world and make you question some of the fundamental assumptions about life. Like, the whole concept of time. If we're not here on this planet, then there's no hour or year. Isn't that crazy? I mean, I'm torn between thinking that that means time is a total fabrication or that that means time is the foundation of our whole reality.

Anyhoo, enough of that. Old Man's War is good. It's really good. All three books. Most of the reviews said the second book, The Lost Colony, lost steam. But I didn't find that. I was in those books for every page.

An another note, one of the wonderful things about the fundamental interconnectedness of the interwebz is that in shouting reviews of scifi books down the well, you can discover that the dude you're writing about keeps a really cool blog!