Thursday, October 16, 2008

Burying the Abortion Lede

As utterly gobsmacked as I was by John McCain's "don't give me that 'woman's health' crap" moment (finger quotes, really?), I thought this quote was far more telling:

Let me talk to you about an important aspect of this issue. We have to change the culture of America. Those of us who are proudly pro-life understand that. And it's got to be courage and compassion that we show to a young woman who's facing this terribly difficult decision

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if America were "proudly pro-life" (and I intend my actual quotes to indicate as much derision as McCain's finger quotes), then: what decision?

This is the profound hypocrisy of the pro-life movement: they praise the choice of, say, Bristol Palin, at the same time they insist that choice should be taken away. The depths they'll plumb...