Thursday, May 14, 2009

Liking Stuff

I've been working on improving my behavior vis a vis liking stuff. If all goes as plans, I'll end up a wise, centered paradigm of equanimity. If someone rolls their eyes at my Star Trek verve, I won't care. I'll channel the wise and wonderful Tim Gunn and say, mildly, chacun a son gout.

So far, I'm not even close. If someone tells me they think Shakespeare sucks, I take it personally. If they tell me baseball is, my god, so boring, I get offended. If someone tells me that Star Trek is stupid, I want to punch them.

Why is this? Does the stuff we like say something about our character? Ayn Rand and The Real Housewives of Orange County both leave me hankering for a Silkwood shower, but I love people who love those things.

So, what do you think? Does the stuff we like say something about who we are as people?