Thursday, January 3, 2019

Work and Death

A man I've worked with for many years died a few days ago - very young and very unexpectedly. And when I got the news that he died, I felt so sad because he was a warm, gentle, kind person and I'd always really liked him. I liked him but I didn't really know him all that well. He was someone I saw once a year at our user groups and someone with whom I had occasional conference calls. But those calls and conferences did span out over years and years.

These working relationships are strange things, aren't they? I was super close with my colleagues at the bar where I worked in my 20s and then really dear friends with the folks I worked with at my current place in my 30s. Shoot, I consider myself pretty close to the people I work with now, even if we really only ever socialize on business trips.

But then there are all those people whom you interact with from day-to-day - people you know how to make laugh and who make you laugh, people with known foibles that irritate or amuse you, people you go to for help, or know how to workaround when they're not helping. But these people aren't your friends and if they move on professionally, you might wish them well, but then will likely never speak to them again, except maybe on Facebook.

It's a weird fact of life, isn't it? How many people you'll know without really knowing.

A connection is a connection, though. These corporate relationships are, by definition, transactional, but they don't have to be only transactional. You can, you know, like people; appreciate the fact that you get to spend a little time with them, enjoy their company and give them a break when they fuck up or annoy you. Connect.

I mean, don't be weird about it. Corporate America is filled with weirdo pitfalls. Stay the hell out of those. But also, be kind. Maybe kindness mitigates the emptiness in corporate America just a little.

Seriously, though, don't be weird. And RIP to Brent. He was such a nice person.