Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Never Letting "Let It Go" Go

My virtual friend, Mark Love, and all around neat, thoughtful guy wrote a blog post about letting things go.  Go read it.  It's good.

It's a good post, right?  You're going to think a lot harder about what you're telling someone when you tell them to let something go, aren't you?  You should leave a nice comment on Mark's blog and thank him for his wise words.

And then we can all violently disabuse of him of his dead wrong opinion of the song "Let It Go" because that song is amazing!

I love, adore and admire Frozen.  I could watch it a million times.  I love it for being funny and for being gorgeous. I love it for "Reindeers are Better than People."  I love it for goofy Anna.  And sweetly naive Olaf who does not know what summer does. I love it for its quick and hilarious nod to gay families.  I love it for totally subverting the love at first glance palaver that has just ruined romance for so many people.  I love it despite the trolls (the trolls are not good). I love it for making us feel tender towards the parents even though they are, for real, straight up bad at being parents. I love it for understanding that true love is not only just romantic love.  I love it because it doesn't reward the heroine with a man; it rewards her with herself.

I love it for my daughter.  I love it for all our daughters. Frozen is real deal feminist.

So... "Let It Go," (voiced by the divine Adele Dazeem... that may never get old...at least to me):


Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well now they know

...

It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right no wrong for me
I'm free


Elsa is not letting go of anxiety or bad feelings.  She's letting go of the limits placed on her; she's letting go of conformity and self-limitation.  She's letting go of letting someone else dictate how she has to be. 

And knowing that a bunch of girls are internalizing the message that you don't have to be what other people expect you to be makes my feminist heart sing.

Oh, I just love Frozen.