Monday, August 19, 2019

The Lazy Bliss of Subscription Services

Here is a brief list of the items to which I subscribe:

  • Billie Razors (every 3 months)
  • Quip toothbrush (every 3 months)
  • L'Oreal Medium Rose Blonde hair dye (every 6 weeks)
  • L'Oreal Age Perfect Day Cream (monthly)
  • L'Oreal Revitalift Night Cream (monthly)
  • Lubriderm Daily Moisturizer Body Lotion (monthly)*
  • Bert's Bees Makeup Removing Face Wipes (monthly)
  • St. Ives Radiant Skin Body Wash, 6  bottles (bimonthly)
  • Listerine Ultraclean Oral Care Antiseptic Mouthwash (bimonthly)
  • ArtNaturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set (bimonthly)
  • Lady Speed Stick Antiperspirant Deoderant, pack of six (every 4 months)

Oh, my friends, there is something so soothing about never running out of deodorant - never having that moment where you blindly pop the top off, being to apply and suffer the plastic scraping up your tender underarm. You don't have to make a CVS run today. You never have to make a CVS run again. Amazon is there for you, friends. I'm Doctor Faustus, Bezos is Mephistopheles and my sweatless, scentless armpits are my 24 years.

The following is a true story: 18 years ago I saw a pretty good production of Mother Courage and have, in the intervening years, frequently pondered how I would get my upper lip de-moustachioed once the wars come.

Intellectually, I know Mother Courage didn't give a shit about the state of her upper lip. But... still...

I'm not all that particularly well-groomed. I work from home and so most days, I don't bother with makeup and keep my hair in a ponytail or bun. But the basic maintenance stuff - the care and keeping of me? How will I manage once the apocalypse comes?

I think about very important things!

In these dark, parlous times, there's just something comforting about having these products all lined up in a row in my tiny little upstairs hall closet. Sometimes I just stand in front of it and look at the St. Ives and the Lady Speed Stick all lined up next to each other and feel so relaxed.

I think I need to add floss to my Amazon Subscribe and Save. Oh! And tampons!

These are magical times we live in. Not sure what kind of magic... but magical nonetheless.

* This is a lot of moisturizer. I know. I cannot abide dry skin. I know there are people who get out of the shower, towel off and then just get dressed and I do not understand what even is your life. Lotion  is wonderful! Get some!