Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Roseanne. Hard Pass

I consume a lot of pop culture - more so than the average bear. Some people are impressed with my pop culture consumption, others think I must get absolutely nothing done. Here's a quick bullet list to how I consume so much:

  • There are only a few shows a week that I watch while not doing anything else. Currently, those shows are Atlanta, RuPaul's Drag Race, The Americans (starts tonight!), Superstore and The Middle. These are the only shows airing that demand full attention. Some due to their extreme quality (Atlanta and The Americans) others because I just have a real good time with them (RPDR and Superstore), and one purely for the nostalgia (The Middle). Due to the great advances of DVR-i-tude, this only adds up to about 2.5 hours of television a week
  • The other TV things I consume happen while I'm doing other things - I may watch The Goldbergs while I'm doing the dishes. I'll check into AP Bio during a workout. 
  • I waste no time on cable news. I've long held the position that cable news causes cancer. It's bad for you in a million ways. I like Chris and Joy and Rachel too! If there's something really good on one of their shows, it'll be on Facebook the next day. Cable news is a terrible way to stay informed and a blight on America. The Sunday shows are worse. I get my news from the Crooked Media guys, Wonkette, Charlie Pierce and Josh Marshall. All these sources are proudly liberal, but free of bullshit. Recommend. 
  • I follow pop culture blogs and twitter that recommend the good stuff to watch. My all time favorite of these is Pajiba. I've turned many of you over to them. They are smart and funny, staunchly anti-racist and feminist, and they have great taste. 
  • Also, I fucking hate it when everyone is talking about something and I don't know what it is. I have never understood the sense of superiority that some people seem to feel when they don't know something that everyone else is talking about. Like, why do people show up on a Facebook thread about Game of Thrones talking about how they don't watch that show? What's the point of that? No one thinks you're cool, buddy. 
All of this is lead up to the Hard Fucking Pass I'm going to give Roseanne. I watched about 10 minutes of it last night and then clicked off. Jackie was like the worst caricature of a Hillary voter and Roseanne was like the gentlest NYT profile of the misunderstood Trump voter. And you know? Fuck. That.

You don't get to say 'I'm not racist! Look at my cute black granddaughter" and support Mr. "Very Fine People on Both Sides," Mr. "Get Those Sons of Bitches off the Field." You don't get to say "I'm not homophobic! I support my genderqueer grandson" at the same time you support the man responsible for the pointless, cruel transgender ban in the military. 

Trump supporters do not get a pass just because they come around with witty writing and a thick sheen of nostalgia. None of it should be normalized. 

There are not two sides here that can reasonably disagree. This is not normal. Don't watch it. Watch The Middle.