Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Brief Drama of the Universal Human Experience that is John Stamos




The scene: Trader Joe's

The players:
Me - white female, mid-40s
Checker 1 - white male, early 20s
Checker 2 - white male, early 30s
Bagger 1 -  African male, late 20s
Bagger 2 - Intellectually disabled male, mid 20s

Companionable silence as Checker 1 scans my groceries.  Hues Corportions "Don't Rock the Boat" plays on the loudspeaker.

Bagger 1 approaches and begins bagging my groceries.  He sings along cheerfully

Bagger 1: Our love is like a ship on the waaaateerrr...
Me: Look at you singing along to this 40 year old song!
Bagger 1: You see, my parents loved this kind of American music and it was always on in our house

Bagger 2 joins and begins assisting the bagging

Bagger 2: The old music I like is The Beach Boys
Me: They're good
Bagger 1: My parents liked them as well
Checker 1: My parents did too

I'm feeling a little less old at this point since The Beach Boys are more my parents generation than mine.

Bagger 2: My favorite song of theirs is "Kokomo"

Instantly I feel old again

Checker 1 (sings): ... you take it fast and you take it slow... that's where I want to go...
Bagger 2: John Stamos from the television show "Full House" played drums for the Beach Boys
Me: I knew that!  I had a big crush on John Stamos when I was in high school.
Checker 2: Me too!

I appreciate the symmetry, although I know our crushes were formed 15 years apart. 

Checker 1: That guy doesn't look as old as he is
Me: I know.  If there is a god, he's probably a man
Checker 2: God probably IS John Stamos

The Entire Cast chuckles.
/Scene


And thus, across age, race, nationality, disability, sexual orientation and gender, five strangers share the universal human experience as manifested by the ageless handsome semi-talented drummer we know as John Stamos.  It was a moment.